repair corrupt free standing table
Roger
2006-03-20 16:36:07 UTC
can anyone recommend a good third party utility to repair a corrupted table?
we used to use one in foxpro DOS called filefix but it doesn't work against
Visual FoxPro tables.

Thanks,

Roger
Josh Assing
2006-03-20 17:47:12 UTC
FoxFix but it appears to be no longer developed but it works.
Arbi makes one that seems to work "ok" but it's cumbersome
There's some on univeralthread's download
dbfrecover is one that seems to work quickly but doens't give you any feedback

If you only have one file; you can send it to me; I'd look at it.
Post by Roger
can anyone recommend a good third party utility to repair a corrupted table?
we used to use one in foxpro DOS called filefix but it doesn't work against
Visual FoxPro tables.
Thanks,
Roger
--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.
Roger
2006-03-20 17:57:28 UTC
Josh,
Thanks for your response and offer of help with the file.
I have already resolved the corruped file by being able to go to a backup.

I will check out FoxFix.

Thanks again,

Roger
Remove X's to send email to me.
GlenEllis
2006-04-04 12:10:52 UTC
Try FoxFix from Hallogram.Com.
The header is variable length. After that, each field is fixed length,
each record is fixed length, all padded with space characters. You
can load the DBF, strip off the header, and save the results to a text
file. Your 'data' can be retreived. In the past, I have re-created a
blank DBF with all appropriate fields, and then appended SDF to
retreive megabytes of data. You should probably buy the FoxFix from
Hallogram. From dBASE-II to VFP has been a long journey, but the DBF
file format is such a bullet-proof style. good luck from a 'geezer
geek'.
jj
2008-05-28 17:14:01 UTC
I was looking at foxfix and noticed it has not been developed for vfp9. I am
reluctant to spend the nonrefundable $250 if there are problems. Do you use
it with vfp9? I found bFoxfix - free and supposedly supporting vfp9. I
wonder if this is legal - if so, any experience with it?
Remove X's to send email to me.
Josh Assing
2008-05-28 18:32:34 UTC
i would give xitech a DIME -- they haven't done squat in years since they lost
all their licenses to redistribute....
they're a bunch of scammers.

The best solution is to be sure to have stable hardware & networks.
With any of my dbf based systems, we reindex at least once a day -- either via
a service on the server, or as the "last person" shuts down for the night.

I've foxed foxfix --and it worked; but w/o support for vfp9 fields it's
worthless. You can try it to see if it works for your tables (if they do a
free-demo) but I'd look to any number of the file-fixers on the UT or elsewhere.

bfoxfix is just a vfp app that (more than likely) just opens the table; and if
it has an error, tries to modify the table (which can sometimes fix weird
issues) and then issues reindex.
from what I can tell; it's near worthless...
it does look for a file called bfoxfix.dll but it's not included; so perhaps it
does more than just what i describe if that dll exists...

You're better off with the tools from the UT
Remove X's to send email to me.
jj
Remove X's to send email to me.
Josh Assing
2008-05-29 02:54:57 UTC
stonefields strengths lay if you use it BEFORE you have problems.
Josh Assing
2008-05-29 15:08:45 UTC
Post by Josh Assing
Post by jj
Have you heard of Stonefield Database Toolkit (SDT)? A bit more expensive,
but they seem to be keeping current - they even answer the phone.
stonefields strengths lay if you use it BEFORE you have problems.
Also; I forgot to note: if I recall correctly, Stonefield requires a dbc --
doesn't work with free standing tables.
Alan
2008-06-27 12:51:41 UTC

You may need to replace your dbf file with a backup. If you don't have
any backup, I think you can try some repair tools. I have used a tool
called Advanced DBF Repair to repair my DBF database. It's website is
http://www.datanumen.com/adr/. It is a powerful tool and worked well
for me, but it is not free, so can be used in the end.

Hope this is useful.

Josh Assing
2008-05-29 02:54:56 UTC
Post by Josh Assing
i would give xitech a DIME -- they haven't done squat in years since they lost
that should have read "wouldn't"