Remotely connect VFP database
Marc
2009-01-26 03:14:59 UTC
I want to know about can we access a VFP Database remotely.
My requirement is I want to access a VFP database which is in another
location in country.
Is there any way to build the connection with VFP.

Pls Someone advice.
Dan Freeman

Pls Someone advice.
Olaf Doschke
2009-02-03 12:41:26 UTC
Like Dan said your best bet is to use terminal server
services or something similar, not connect to the
database, but use a local PC remotely.

Because both with ODBC or VFP OLEDB Provider you
need to give a path valid in the current LAN, there
is no Server process running for a DBC, it's a file
database.

You can solve that by using a VPN connection, but that
is not only slower, but also has a higher latency
compared to a LAN, remoting the desktop can handle
this better in most cases, then remoting the data
access. Be aware that DBFs are sensitive to network
errors or unstabilities and these are more probable
in a VPN network.

There once was a product called VFP Server, but their
site www.vfpserver.com is down. They provided the
missing service that would enable using DBCs remote
as a real database server, but using that would need
a rewrite of the applications data access anyway,
and if you choose a rewrite MS SQL or some other RDBMS
may be the better choice, than adding a Server component
to a DBC.

A third possibility is another way of a rewrite, keeping
the DBC, but developing a web application frontend for it.

Bye, Olaf.
swdev2
2009-02-04 06:21:18 UTC
Olad mentioned vfpserver.com -
you might be able to get the files off of
http://web.archive.org/web/20071119130512/http://www.vfpserver.com/

Good Luck !

Mondo Regards [Bill]
--
===================
William Sanders / EFG VFP / mySql / MS-SQL
Hi,
Pls Someone advice.
swdev2
2009-02-04 06:33:20 UTC
As a followup - you might want to evaluate sunilne -
see http://www.sunsoft.sk/sunline/default_en.asp

Mondo Regards [Bill]

--
===================
William Sanders / EFG VFP / mySql / MS-SQL
www.efgroup.net/vfpwebhosting
www.terrafox.net www.viasqlserver.net
Hi,
Pls Someone advice.
Olaf Doschke
2009-02-04 10:37:56 UTC
Another alternative regarding server addons to DBCs
would be Advantage Datqabase Server from Sybase.

But AFAIK the driver settings of their ODBC
driver also need path to the DBC, which also
is not "remote friendly". But I might be missing
something here, as I haven't done much with ADS.
Even if the connection string does not work with
Instance or database (alias) names, it could still
work remotely, the paths would only need to work
local for the ODBC driver.

Bye, Olaf.
OlivierH