some recommendations?
Hii Sing Chung
2008-11-01 08:17:23 UTC

My company has a few small programs written in Foxpro. I am not familiar
with this program language/database. The company does have concern over
security of the database and speed of access (through network) which were
the major problems encountered when running these programs in the previous
company. I am looking at re-writting the programs using Visual Basic and SLQ
server express, is it a sensible or logical approach? Is it possible (or is
it recommended) to connect using ODBC to dbf file stored on the server from
FoxPro (in order to solve the security issue)? Is it recommeded to ODBC from
Foxpro to SQL server express database?

Recommendations highly appreciated.
Dan Freeman
2008-11-02 01:24:19 UTC
The rewrite in VB .NET (*not* classic VB) with an SQL back end is certainly
a viable approach if this application is important enough to your company to
warrant the expense.

Note that speed is NEVER a reason to move to a SQL back end. It may (or may
not) be faster at some things, and it may (or may not) be slower at some
things. Speed is NEVER the deciding factor.

Note that there is NO approach to data stored in DBF files that can be
considered secure. It does not exist.

Dan
Hi,
Hii Sing Chung
2008-11-02 09:42:42 UTC
Dan, Thank you.
I am projecting some tables to store millions of records and the database
needs to be on the server and at times to be access through VPN. When I
access a little program through VPN, and this program links to database
(foxpro dbf) on the server, I've currently only 3 records in the main table,
it is already very slow. Is SQL server not able to alleviate this kind of
problem?
Post by Dan Freeman
The rewrite in VB .NET (*not* classic VB) with an SQL back end is
certainly a viable approach if this application is important enough to
your company to warrant the expense.
Note that speed is NEVER a reason to move to a SQL back end. It may (or
may not) be faster at some things, and it may (or may not) be slower at
some things. Speed is NEVER the deciding factor.
Note that there is NO approach to data stored in DBF files that can be
considered secure. It does not exist.
Dan
Hi,
swdev2
2008-11-02 22:02:14 UTC
Yer launching the application as it's stored on a server disk through the
vpn.
That, in itself will be slow to launch.

Pure VFP can do client server, but not in the same model as SQL server and
any other front end tool (like VFP, for example - it's a great front end gui
tool, better than VB).

Many other folk have cracked this - I think for now you need to review
what's already been done, and apply it to the situation at work, getting the
boss's approval for a redesign with vfp, of course.

a vpn pipe is slow, by definition. This slowness has nothing to do with
VFP.

WHAT VFP specific web portals, have you been looking at ?

--
===================
William Sanders / EFG VFP / mySql / MS-SQL
Post by Dan Freeman
The rewrite in VB .NET (*not* classic VB) with an SQL back end is
certainly a viable approach if this application is important enough to
your company to warrant the expense.
Note that speed is NEVER a reason to move to a SQL back end. It may (or
may not) be faster at some things, and it may (or may not) be slower at
some things. Speed is NEVER the deciding factor.
Note that there is NO approach to data stored in DBF files that can be
considered secure. It does not exist.
Dan
Hi,
Dan Freeman
2008-11-03 16:36:52 UTC
As I said before, speed is simply not a valid reason for switching to a
back-end server.

Your bottleneck here is your VPN connection. Change that to terminal
services clients connecting to a terminal server and this entire discussion
may (or may not) go away.

VPN is great for quickly connecting for "occasional use". For permanent use
and/or heavy load, it's the least viable option.

Dan
Post by Dan Freeman
The rewrite in VB .NET (*not* classic VB) with an SQL back end is
certainly a viable approach if this application is important enough
to your company to warrant the expense.
Note that speed is NEVER a reason to move to a SQL back end. It may
(or may not) be faster at some things, and it may (or may not) be
slower at some things. Speed is NEVER the deciding factor.
Note that there is NO approach to data stored in DBF files that can
be considered secure. It does not exist.
Dan
Hi,
swdev2
2008-11-02 21:56:15 UTC
You need to redo your architecture a bit.

Of course it will appear slow, you've copied the exact architecture from the
previous company.

OTOH - why are you there? It's a series of foxpro programs, yer not a
foxpro developer, are you somebody's cousin?

Tell the owner to get in a foxpro developer and re-engineer that thingie to
work right on that architecture.

My apologies for sounding harsh - but 'to be slow' is not an issue of vfp.
Not replacing those crappy 10 m/b ethernet cards is whats gonna kill you.

VPN? na, go terminal server instead.

xie xie [Bill]

--
===================
William Sanders / EFG VFP / mySql / MS-SQL
www.efgroup.net/vfpwebhosting
www.terrafox.net www.viasqlserver.net
Hi,
Hii Sing Chung
2008-11-03 06:15:26 UTC
Well, all those programs were written by a Foxpro novice, very simple
programs, but I can see the problems of using them in a large-scale
manufacturing environment. In my life I've never seen any Foxpro developers,
none from my colleagues, friends, classmates, schoolmates, university-mates,
students, vendors, suppliers, none of anyone that I ever met. Maybe you
still can manage to find them in your country but here, difficult, if not
impossible.
Post by swdev2
You need to redo your architecture a bit.
Of course it will appear slow, you've copied the exact architecture from the
previous company.
OTOH - why are you there? It's a series of foxpro programs, yer not a
foxpro developer, are you somebody's cousin?
Tell the owner to get in a foxpro developer and re-engineer that thingie to
work right on that architecture.
My apologies for sounding harsh - but 'to be slow' is not an issue of vfp.
Not replacing those crappy 10 m/b ethernet cards is whats gonna kill you.
VPN? na, go terminal server instead.
xie xie [Bill]
--
===================
William Sanders / EFG VFP / mySql / MS-SQL
www.efgroup.net/vfpwebhosting
www.terrafox.net www.viasqlserver.net
Hi,
swdev2
2008-11-03 13:59:28 UTC
Where is 'here' ?

--
===================
Post by swdev2
You need to redo your architecture a bit.
Of course it will appear slow, you've copied the exact architecture from the
previous company.
OTOH - why are you there? It's a series of foxpro programs, yer not a
foxpro developer, are you somebody's cousin?
Tell the owner to get in a foxpro developer and re-engineer that thingie to
work right on that architecture.
My apologies for sounding harsh - but 'to be slow' is not an issue of vfp.
Not replacing those crappy 10 m/b ethernet cards is whats gonna kill you.
VPN? na, go terminal server instead.
xie xie [Bill]
--
===================
William Sanders / EFG VFP / mySql / MS-SQL
www.efgroup.net/vfpwebhosting
www.terrafox.net www.viasqlserver.net
Hi,
glene77is
2008-11-03 14:06:10 UTC
On Nov 3, 1:15 am, "Hii Sing Chung" <***@hotmail.com>
Hello,

The engineers on this forum are very good. Listen to their advice.

I've been in Fox/VFP from 1984, the beginning, every version up to VFP
6.0
I've converted systems like yours into VFP, so I am confident that
this project is do-able. You should contact a VFP developer, with
graying hair, so that his wisdom is developed.

Over the years, I've written FoxPro programs, three with more than a
million lines (counted them) of code. Some ran off a server database,
and the last one ODBC into SQL on a server. Very friendly
environment, and data collected very quickly.

A set of Fox Dos programs can be re-written into a VFP Object Oriented
form/application. It is straight forward, no magic.

The same thing goes for VisualBasic (which Microsoft still
supports) .NET.

A set of VFP programs/forms can be functionally analyzed
and re-written into a well-engineered VFP application.
It is straight forward, no magic.

Be confident, take Dan's advice.
If you need a VFP developer, Google for one! , don't ask your friends.

I don't write for anybody anymore (not much anyway),
as I like semi-retirement and like to seriously tinker with my own
programs.

Glen Ellis, Memphis, TN at www.GeoCities.Com/glene77is
swdev2
2008-11-03 15:44:41 UTC
Where is 'here' ?

--
===================
Post by swdev2
You need to redo your architecture a bit.
Of course it will appear slow, you've copied the exact architecture from the
previous company.
OTOH - why are you there? It's a series of foxpro programs, yer not a
foxpro developer, are you somebody's cousin?
Tell the owner to get in a foxpro developer and re-engineer that thingie to
work right on that architecture.
My apologies for sounding harsh - but 'to be slow' is not an issue of vfp.
Not replacing those crappy 10 m/b ethernet cards is whats gonna kill you.
VPN? na, go terminal server instead.
xie xie [Bill]
--
===================
William Sanders / EFG VFP / mySql / MS-SQL
www.efgroup.net/vfpwebhosting
www.terrafox.net www.viasqlserver.net
Hi,
Hii Sing Chung
2008-11-03 19:27:06 UTC
Malaysia.
Post by swdev2
Where is 'here' ?
--
===================
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
VPN? na, go terminal server instead.
xie xie [Bill]
--
===================
William Sanders / EFG VFP / mySql / MS-SQL
www.efgroup.net/vfpwebhosting
www.terrafox.net www.viasqlserver.net
Hi,
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
the major problems encountered when running these programs in the previous
company. I am looking at re-writting the programs using Visual Basic
and
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
SLQ
Post by Hii Sing Chung
server express, is it a sensible or logical approach? Is it possible
(or
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
is
Stefan Wuebbe
2008-11-04 06:48:46 UTC
There are actually many FoxPro developers in your area, and in
China, India, PNG, Phillipines and so on.

-Stefan
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Malaysia.
Post by swdev2
Where is 'here' ?
--
===================
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
VPN? na, go terminal server instead.
xie xie [Bill]
--
===================
William Sanders / EFG VFP / mySql / MS-SQL
www.efgroup.net/vfpwebhosting
www.terrafox.net www.viasqlserver.net
Hi,
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
the major problems encountered when running these programs in the previous
company. I am looking at re-writting the programs using Visual Basic
and
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
SLQ
Post by Hii Sing Chung
server express, is it a sensible or logical approach? Is it possible
(or
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
is
Olaf Doschke
2008-11-04 12:24:52 UTC
Post by Stefan Wuebbe
There are actually many FoxPro developers in your area, and in
China, India, PNG, Phillipines and so on.
Yes, you'll find some from Malaysia
on www.foxite.com

Bye, Olaf.
swdev2
2008-11-04 16:31:32 UTC
There are many in Malaysia.
In fact, there are schools which teach it as part of the curricula.
In fact, there is huge gov-authorized accounting program that is written in
vfp, with sales offices throughout Malaysia - JB - KL, Penang, KTT even.

Your Circle is small.

Suggest you post a job offer on Foxite.com and on the malaysia vfp yahoo
group site over at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/malaysiafoxprousergroup

It's not been so active, about 1/4 of the stuff is spam, but you'll still be
able to find a VFP developer IN Malaysia IF YOU ACTUALLY JOIN THE GROUP AND
POST YOUR JOB OFFER.

Good Luck, and .... *GASP*** Welcome to VFP. To be competent with this
programming language, you'll need to learn more. BUY THE BOOKS at
www.hentzenwerke.com

xie xie [Bill]
--
===================
William Sanders / EFG VFP / mySql / MS-SQL
www.efgroup.net/vfpwebhosting
www.terrafox.net www.viasqlserver.net
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Malaysia.
Post by swdev2
Where is 'here' ?
--
===================
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
VPN? na, go terminal server instead.
xie xie [Bill]
--
===================
William Sanders / EFG VFP / mySql / MS-SQL
www.efgroup.net/vfpwebhosting
www.terrafox.net www.viasqlserver.net
Hi,
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
the major problems encountered when running these programs in the previous
company. I am looking at re-writting the programs using Visual Basic
and
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
SLQ
Post by Hii Sing Chung
server express, is it a sensible or logical approach? Is it possible
(or
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
is
Hii Sing Chung
2008-11-05 04:18:17 UTC
swdev2
2008-11-05 04:57:14 UTC
Thanks for the report !
Now focus on the CTC's - you'll find the right developer for you !!

Warmest Regards [Bill]

--
===================
William Sanders / EFG VFP / mySql / MS-SQL
www.efgroup.net/vfpwebhosting
www.terrafox.net www.viasqlserver.net
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Well, thanks a lot for the information. I've chance to speak to those people
who sell the UBS software. It is very popular in Malaysia. [snip]
Craig Berntson
2008-11-05 16:03:09 UTC
Not quite accurate. VFP is no longer being updated by Microsoft, but it is
still supported until 2015.

You can also step through the debugger in VFP and find runtime errors, just
like Visual Studio.

Many people will tell you that you can produce business apps in VFP in less
time and with less code than in Visual Studio.
--
Craig Berntson
Microsoft MVP

-------------
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Well, thanks a lot for the information. I've chance to speak to those
people who sell the UBS software. It is very popular in Malaysia. No,
commercial schools taught UBS system, not VFP. Since VFP is nolonger
supported by Microsoft, it is not logical for schools to teach such a
programming language. UBS has to sign agreement with Microsoft inorder to
support the VFP. UBS migh move away from VFP, the latest release uses SQL
server backend. who know, sooner or later the whole system will be not be
in VFP (I cannot assure what will happen in future, but who can unturn the
tide?). Just 2 days ago I was at KL HQ and a girl when pressed on a print
button inside UBS program, got a endless looping saying ZLANGUAGE variable
not found, and could not exit the program. We spent 2 weeks tried to
activate the latest UBS software on our server, given up totally last
week. Such a thing should not happen. In VS, at the time of coding, it
already can check through your code and highlight possible run-time error,
and programmer can step-by-step debug through the program. Malaysia can be
better off...shhh. when I started to play with VFP, actually I feel that I
am moving backwards quite a number of years (yes you asked me before, I am
here to help a friend who got all these programs but he has no time).
Surely you can write very good program out of VFP, but in business what is
important is efficiency (such as how fast, how easy and how little code
you need to produce a program of the same magnitude and the same operating
efficiency when comparing between the tools).
Yes, let me try to see If I can find helpful VFP expert here. To say that
there are many in Malaysia is not true (say compare to number of
programmers who are proficient in VB/C#). My circle here is really small,
only 2 months presence after leaving this place 15 years ago.
Post by swdev2
[...]
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Malaysia.
Post by swdev2
Where is 'here' ?
--
===================
Post by Hii Sing Chung
students, vendors, suppliers, none of anyone that I ever met. Maybe you
still can manage to find them in your country but here, difficult, if
not
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
impossible.
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
VPN? na, go terminal server instead.
xie xie [Bill]
--
===================
William Sanders / EFG VFP / mySql / MS-SQL
www.efgroup.net/vfpwebhosting
www.terrafox.net www.viasqlserver.net
Hi,
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
the major problems encountered when running these programs in the previous
company. I am looking at re-writting the programs using Visual Basic
and
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
SLQ
Post by Hii Sing Chung
server express, is it a sensible or logical approach? Is it possible
(or
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
is
Post by Hii Sing Chung
it recommended) to connect using ODBC to dbf file stored on the
server
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
from
Hii Sing Chung
2008-11-20 02:21:35 UTC
Hi, Swdev2,

I made a post there at malaysiafoxprousergroup, the result is very negative,
not only there is no response, I got tremendous amount of junk mails coming
in after that. For anyone who may be interested I sincerely advice to avoid
it.
Post by swdev2
[...]
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Malaysia.
Post by swdev2
Where is 'here' ?
--
===================
Post by Hii Sing Chung
students, vendors, suppliers, none of anyone that I ever met. Maybe you
still can manage to find them in your country but here, difficult, if
not
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
impossible.
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
VPN? na, go terminal server instead.
xie xie [Bill]
--
===================
William Sanders / EFG VFP / mySql / MS-SQL
www.efgroup.net/vfpwebhosting
www.terrafox.net www.viasqlserver.net
Hi,
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
the major problems encountered when running these programs in the previous
company. I am looking at re-writting the programs using Visual Basic
and
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
SLQ
Post by Hii Sing Chung
server express, is it a sensible or logical approach? Is it possible
(or
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
is
Post by Hii Sing Chung
it recommended) to connect using ODBC to dbf file stored on the
server
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
from
swdev2
2008-11-21 03:10:59 UTC
OK - that's one...
Any results with:

1. foxite.com
2. the CTC phone contacts from UBS ?

If you didn't find the CTC phone contact page from the UBS website, well, go
have another look - it's there. Each one of their CTC's are EXPERT VFP
developers.

Mondo Regards [Bill]
--
===================
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
be
able to find a VFP developer IN Malaysia IF YOU ACTUALLY JOIN THE GROUP AND
POST YOUR JOB OFFER.
Good Luck, and .... *GASP*** Welcome to VFP. To be competent with this
programming language, you'll need to learn more. BUY THE BOOKS at
www.hentzenwerke.com
xie xie [Bill]
--
===================
William Sanders / EFG VFP / mySql / MS-SQL
www.efgroup.net/vfpwebhosting
www.terrafox.net www.viasqlserver.net
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Malaysia.
Post by swdev2
Where is 'here' ?
--
===================
Post by Hii Sing Chung
students, vendors, suppliers, none of anyone that I ever met. Maybe you
still can manage to find them in your country but here, difficult, if
not
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
impossible.
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
VPN? na, go terminal server instead.
xie xie [Bill]
--
===================
William Sanders / EFG VFP / mySql / MS-SQL
www.efgroup.net/vfpwebhosting
www.terrafox.net www.viasqlserver.net
Hi,
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
the major problems encountered when running these programs in the
previous
company. I am looking at re-writting the programs using Visual Basic
and
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
SLQ
Post by Hii Sing Chung
server express, is it a sensible or logical approach? Is it possible
(or
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
is
Post by Hii Sing Chung
it recommended) to connect using ODBC to dbf file stored on the
server
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
from
Post by Hii Sing Chung
FoxPro (in order to solve the security issue)? Is it recommeded
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Post by swdev2
Post by Hii Sing Chung
ODBC
from
swdev2
2008-11-04 16:41:33 UTC
These guys are actively seeking a VFP developer in malaysia -
http://www.araaftech.com/career.asp

Suggset you contact them, ask for any further vfp developer contacts.

GOOD LUCK ! [Bill]

--
===================
William Sanders / EFG VFP / mySql / MS-SQL
www.efgroup.net/vfpwebhosting
www.terrafox.net www.viasqlserver.net
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Malaysia.
Where is 'here' ?
swdev2
2008-11-04 16:45:55 UTC
This is the accounting company I mentioned previously -
http://www.ubs-software.com/

Contact them, ask about finding a VFP developer in your area. They are
wired in to everything. Make a new friend, ask.

Good Luck !

--
===================
William Sanders / EFG VFP / mySql / MS-SQL
www.efgroup.net/vfpwebhosting
www.terrafox.net www.viasqlserver.net
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Malaysia.
Where is 'here' ?
swdev2
2008-11-04 16:50:56 UTC
UBS got bought about by 'The Sage Group' - so figure a 2 year 'conversion'
from the UBS VFP-centric application to something that Sage Likes.

So there should be a migration of VFP developers out of UBS - keep hammering
their HR department, or look at their 'technical consultants' area for a UBS
consultant in your part of Malaysia. In the past, to my certain knowledge,
all UBS certified technical consultants were 3rd party companies that
specialized in adding enhancements to the VFP-centric UBS package. These
CTC's will know VFP very well.

I guess this begs the further question - can you pay them ?

Good Luck !

--
William Sanders / EFG VFP / mySql / MS-SQL
www.efgroup.net/vfpwebhosting
www.terrafox.net www.viasqlserver.net
Post by Hii Sing Chung
Malaysia.