Error: External table is not in the expected format
Feldaspar
2007-02-05 03:28:41 UTC

I am using .net to access data using the following connection string:

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\path;Extended
Properties=dBASE IV;User ID=Admin;Password=

This works fine on Machine A, when I try to run this on Machine B
(using the same data) I get the error: "External table is not in the
expected format".

I thought it might be an issue with drivers, but i have checked all
that I can with drivers, has anyone else seen this and could help?

Regards,

Andrew
Dan Freeman
2007-02-05 03:55:23 UTC
Assuming you're querying Visual Foxpro data, I suspect it's a lucky accident
it works on Machine A. VFP does not (usually) use dBase IV format for
storing data. For some it does, but as soon as you use a VFP-specific
feature, the signature byte on the table changes and it's not compatible
with dBase IV.

You can download the VFP OLEDB provider here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=e1a87d8f-2d58-491f-a0fa-95a3289c5fd4&displaylang=en

Use that driver instead.

Dan
Hi,