Not a table/DBF
d***@gmail.com
2008-02-21 10:55:37 UTC
hi,

i am creating a new table with copy stru to command and appending some
records to this new table using append from command. Then am using one
foxpro application to see records added. But i get the following error
message

Not a table/DBF

Any ideas??

Regards,
Dinakar
Stefan Wuebbe
2008-02-21 11:09:49 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
hi,
i am creating a new table with copy stru to command and appending some
records to this new table using append from command. Then am using one
foxpro application to see records added. But i get the following error
message
Not a table/DBF
Any ideas??
Hi Dinakar -

I'd suggest to post a code example that fails for you.
This example works for me:
*
CREATE CURSOR temp (test Int)
COPY STRUCTURE TO d:\temp\test
Use d:\temp\test IN 0
SELECT test
APPEND FROM DBF('temp')
*

hth
-Stefan
--
|\_/| ------ ProLib - programmers liberty -----------------
(.. ) Our MVPs and MCPs make the Fox run....
d***@gmail.com
2008-02-21 11:50:38 UTC
Hi Stefan,

thanks for the prompt reply.

am actually not into this foxpro application. Let me explain you the
current scenario.

Every month i would get a DBF file and i need to append the records
present in dbf file to master file for that year. I started from May
last year and that time 2007 master file was already present. Now
i've got the DBF file for january 2008. My client has directed me to
create a new master file for 2008 using "copy stru to " command (he
said he used this command to create master files for all previous
years).

Here are the commands i used
use bill2007
COPY STRUCTURE TO bill2008 WITH CDX
use bill2008

Now when i open this file from application i get not table/DBF file.

Let me also explain a bit about the application which is throwing this
error. I go to Report section of this application and select the
report
and i get a screen where i can enter filename and filters to be used

In file section i enter bill2008 and don't change any thing in
filters.

Thanks for your help.
dinakar
Villi Bernaroli
2008-02-21 11:27:26 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
i am creating a new table with copy stru to command and appending some
records to this new table using append from command. Then am using one
foxpro application to see records added. But i get the following error
message
Not a table/DBF
Any ideas??
You said that you have created this table with copy stru command: with
version of VFP were you using?
Then you say that a VFP application can not open this file and gives an
error: which version of VFP is this application?
Maybe you're creating the table with a VFP version which is newer than the
VFP version of the application, so the older VFP doesn't recognize DBF
created by the newer one.
If so, after creating the new table in VFP, try to copy it in to older
version of VFP, with commands like this:

select myTable
COPY TO c:\...\myTable2 TYPE FOX2X

before giving the dbf to the application.
News Microsoft
d***@gmail.com
2008-02-21 12:39:15 UTC
Post by Villi Bernaroli
You said that you have created this table with copy stru command: with
version of VFP were you using?
Then you say that a VFP application can not open this file and gives an
error: which version of VFP is this application?
Maybe you're creating the table with a VFP version which is newer than the
VFP version of the application, so the older VFP doesn't recognize DBF
created by the newer one.
If so, after creating the new table in VFP, try to copy it in to older
select myTable
COPY TO c:\...\myTable2 TYPE FOX2X
before giving the dbf to the application.
--
News Microsoft
Hi Villi,

Spot on. You got it correct. The problem was because of difference in
versions. I got the older version installed in my system and
everything is working fine. Thanks a lot for your help!!

Regards,
Dinakar.